Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Death by Coconut!!!!!!!!

Have you ever had a feeling deep down in your core that this day could very well be your last?

Sometimes I wonder if I had lived my life the way that I should have. Are there things that I would have done differently? Sure there are many instances that I could redo. Things I should have said… people I shouldn’t have lost touch with…wrong I wish I could make right.

Why you are asking yourself would I be thinking in such a critical manner? Well, the thing is I had a weird mishap with a falling coconut this afternoon. What’s the big deal, you may be asking?


If you had heard the thunderous thump that it made as it plummeted to the pavement along the walkway, you wouldn’t need to question my motives for writing this little excerpt today.
 

I have been reminded to watch out for the pair of soaring coconut trees as I stroll the winding walkways across the property. But, like many before me, I didn’t heed the warnings.
  
It was a particularly beautiful day today. The air was brisk and I could smell the coming on of rain. As I walked along my merry way, I could hear the birds chirping and the sounds of the rustling branches. The sounds coming from above were a bit hypnotic.

Things were normal the first couple of turns around the pathway, but it was the third time around that I could hear the sounds of the gardener, frantically waving his arms and screaming what sounded like get out, move. Then this 
ghastly feeling came over me as if something wasn’t right. I turn in the direction of this terrifying sound. I could almost feel my heart wanting to jump right out of my chest.

Like missiles falling out of the sky, the coconuts came down one by one, making this unmistakably terrifying thud as they each hit the pavement. Barely missing me by what seemed like inches.
Can you imagine the headline, death by coconut? Up until that point, I hadn’t considered dying…much less the idea of a couple of gigantic coconuts as the weapon of my demise.

So, the moral to this ironically funny tale is, ‘”Don’t walk underneath coconut trees, or if you have to walk quickly! Folks remember to kiss your loved ones everyday and remember to don’t go a day without telling how much they mean to you, because if tomorrow never comes, it will be too late.

 

No comments: