Sunday, September 9, 2012

Dialogue Between the Sexes: Communication is a two way street:-)

I have spent a good portion of the past eight years distancing myself from my past. Trying desperately to start from a clean slate. But I make no excuses for who I am. I am not perfect. Not by a long shot. I came to a realization most recently after having recollected a rather  ironic encounter I had just the other day. I was sitting at a local cafe enjoying my lunch with Nate as we had done many times before. And as always I engaged in a little banter with the owner to whom I had befriends some years ago. He was a fellow Cambodian American Expatriate who had also returned to open a business here in Phnom Penh. Nice guy, but like many others suffers from wandering eyes.  You know those types, I know you do. The ones whose eyes always find themselves staring at your nether regions. I should have been annoyed, but well I am used to it, I guess. 

About ten minutes into the conversation a friend of his comes in and sits in the booth next to me. He was a sharply dressed gentleman with obvious distinctive  style and demeanor. The shop owner doesn't automatically introduce me, but instead he introduces himself. He extends his hand to me and proceeds to move closer to the end of the booth as he continues to talk. I was a little taken back to the fact that he was so forward. I suppose I am not used to men being so forward. It has always been the other way around. I have been the initiator of most conversations.  His ease of communicating was impressive. But all the while I was wondering in amazement how much he talks not really giving me a chance to say anything in return. Seems a bit more like a presentation than a conversation. Don't get me wrong I did interject a few times, but it was a little bit of a turn off not to allow for an even flow of two way communication. 

The whole ruffling of feathers and strange dances that primates to attract the others attention. Suppose like our lower primates we also have a need to strut and flaunt your wears. In the past, I have done it as many of you have also. Primped and prepped spent a little extra time polishing your attire and spritzing some perfume. Does all that effort really work or are we just wasting our time? Now, however I subscribe to a more casual but practical approach. I dress not to impress, but look and feel good wearing things I like. I don't follow trends or read fashion magazines. I rather buy things I feel are timeless pieces that accentuate me and my personality. Now, if others happen to appreciate or enjoy the view that is totally on them. Just an incidental chain reaction not the motivation for what drives me. 

Needless to say he did not faultier  once during the whole two hours he carried on tell me everything from what he has done to what he is doing now. Then he gets up stands next to my table as if he is going to say something. And to my surprise he asks me if I come here often to which I replied no I don't.  Just when I thought he was going to ask to exchange numbers, he proceeded to say he hopes that we will see each other again some time soon. Strange right? You would think that after all that effort he put into maintaining a fluid conversation, he would have at least asked for it. It is quite amusing maybe even comical how men and women interact. The whole flitting scenario, the playful banter. It is all quite harmless and can be fun. I suppose that's why people have been entertaining that idea since the beginning of time. 

Now, you are probably asking, '"Vary, are you disappointed he didn't ask for a number?'" My simple response is no not really. I believe that if he had really wanted to he would have, but who is to say I would have given him my number. Would I have felt differently had he not been so pushy, maybe. It was a definite turn off. So, FYI communication is a two-way street not a one-way intersection with many stop signs. *sigh* We will never know what would have happened since that is not how it played out. 

Just a ironic tidbit  that it so happens that he has been going to that cafe everyday since that day we met looking for me, but as it so happens I haven't been back since.  This has been confirmed by a close informant that asked to remain anonymous. hahaha! 

No comments: