Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Reality Check: Over-thinking the new buzzkill!

Day 2 of my journey to a co-dependency free life. So far so good, the days been eventless and my attempt to wean people from this debilitating sense of dependency has been successful thus far. I have not met up with any major resistance or objections so far. Actually, I am holding my breathe, because things seem awfully calm in the normally turbulent waters of what I like to call my 2nd home. Being that I do spend a great deal of time here, maybe even more than I do at home with my family and friends which maybe is the next thing I would like to address. 

I know what you are thinking. Why in the world are you getting ahead of the situation. Enjoy the silence if you will as it stands. I know I shouldn't over-think and make things complicated when it doesn't need to be. But a part of me is a bit surprised how easy it has been. I was expecting a lot of resistance, but maybe I didn't vocalise myself and allowed the situation to get out of hand before. So, it's partly my fault I believe for not being more assertive. 

In retrospect, people are more capable than you initially give them credit for and things always have a way of working themselves out even with little effort and a lot of motivation. Because in the end I believe that we all want to succeed and accomplish things on our own. Nothing is better than being able to recognise your own achievements. So, the next time consider whether what you are doing is really helping the situation or maybe you are actually doing a disfavor. Most codependent relationships, the enabler contributes to the growing dependency and essentially encourages the abnormal relationship by creating an environment where it can prosper unchallenged. I have inadvertently empowered them to help themselves rather than depending on my assistance solely.  

Lost's Endnotes: Don't over-think the situation and allow your imagination to run wild, because if you allow it to, you will quite possibly twist a situation out of proportion whereby adding stress unnecessarily.  So, if you find yourself face to face with the temptation to '"take it and run with it'", don't!!!! Learn to accept a situation at face value and not to compound it by creating an alternative reality based on fear and doubt. Either way you can not control the outcome, but you can control how you react to any given situation. Respect yourself and preserve your sanity! 

No comments: